Whether it is a weekend family BBQ, football party, an office potluck, or a work week meal this Sweet with a Little Spice Potato Salad is a perfect side for any occasion.
One thing I have learned since having kids is the more I get done during the weekend the more sanity I can keep Monday-Friday. Most of our meals are planned and prepped during the weekend before the crazy week begins. Summers are hot here in Texas, therefore, cold side dishes are a must.
Let’s face it potato salad gets old, the same flavors, the same ingredients, just kind of boring. Then again, it is a very diverse dish. Instead of russet use red. First off I love the color they give, they also are simple to prep and cook fast. They are a working mom’s best friends, and truly versatile.
The second small change I made was to switch up what mustard was used. Have you been down the mustard isle lately? You name it there is more than likely a mustard in that flavor, wasabi, BBQ, I think I even saw an Italian one at one point. So many choices to choose from!!! However , this time I went with a spicy honey mustard because it was in my fridge.
Have you ever added pickles to your potato salad? I never did until I was went to my friends house and she told me that is how her mom always made it, I wasn’t sure at first, but once I tried it WOW!! It became a staple in my potato salad from that day on.
This potato salad is creamy, smoky, sweet and just the perfect amount of spice. So if you want potato salad but don’t want your basic everyday potato salad this is the perfect fit for you.
- 1 lb small potatoes (red or white or both) cut in half
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup mayo
- ½ small onion chopped
- 1 roasted red bell pepper (and 1 tablespoon juice from jar) chopped
- 2 dill pickle spears (and 1 tablespoon juice from jar) chopped
- 2 hardboiled eggs chopped
- 1 tablespoon spice honey mustard
- Boil potato halves until they are tender (just until a folk can easily pierce them). Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl add Mayo, onion, roasted red bell peppers with juice, pickles with juice, eggs and spicy honey mustard stir well.
- Once potatoes are cool gently combine them to the rest of the mixed ingredients.
- Let the potato salad chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.