There is nothing better than a Sunday of relaxation. Go to the park, snuggle and watch movies, read a great book, then end the day with an amazing dinner. And nothing says amazing like Cheddar and Bacon Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes.
Almost every Sunday I roast a chicken. I don’t know why just something about Sunday and chicken that just seems so perfect. Plus roasting a chicken is simple and delicious, I can still relax and enjoy my family while it cooks. That is why these Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes are perfect for days like Sundays!
Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes came to be one Sunday when the chicken was taking longer than I expected. My mashed potatoes were done, and I did not want them to get cold, so I put them in a pan and tossed it in the oven to help keep them warm.
By the time chicken was done the top of the potatoes where slightly crispy and the middle was light and airy. The first-bit heavenly, buttery, melt in your mouth succulent.
Since then I have made Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes a variety of ways. Potatoes are truly a blank canvas you can add any flavor you can dream up. My families two favorites are Onion and Chive Whipped Potatoes and these Cheddar and Bacon Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes.
The best part is they are simple to make. First, make the mashed potatoes just like you normally would. Then add in the bacon pieces along with the cheddar cheese and chive. Don’t forget to salt and pepper to taste.
Once everything is mashed and well-combined pour and spread the Cheddar and Bacon Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes into a well-greased baking dish. Then simply pop it into the oven and let it cook until top is golden brown.
Yes, the title may sound all fancy, which makes the dish sound difficult, but these Cheddar and Bacon Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes are simple to make. It is hard to believe that they are full of extreme smoky savory flavors. The perfect side dish for Roasted Chicken.
Now all that is left is for you to pour yourself a drink, crank up the tunes, and get to cook’n!
Cheddar and Bacon Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes
- 1/4 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1/4 lb bacon fried and crumbles
- 4 medium russet potatoes peeled, and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese Grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp chives chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large pot place potatoes and cover them with water. Add salt to the water and bring to boil. Once water is boiling, reduces heat to medium-low and allow the potatoes to cook until they are fork tender.
- If you haven't already done so fry up your bacon. Let it cool, then crumble it.
- Strain water out of the pot and place the potatoes back into the same pot they cooked in and return the pot to the stove over medium-low heat.
- Add the butter, sour cream, and 1/4 milk to the potatoes and mash up the potatoes. Slowly add more milk until potatoes are clump free, smooth, but still able to form a peak.
- Mash in onion, garlic, bacon and cheddar cheese.
- Once everything is mashed and well-combined pour and spread the Cheddar and Bacon Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes into a well-greased baking dish. Place the dish in the oven and let it cook until top is golden brown.
- Allow the potatoes to cool slightly before serving and enjoy!
Hope you all enjoy this recipe for Cheddar and Bacon Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes and if you like what you see make sure you sign up for our free weekly newsletter to get a heads up on what’s to come, recipes straight to your inbox, and future giveaways! Also, remember you can show your love by #messycuttingboardrecipes!