This is your mother’s Chicken and Rice taken up a notch! With a slight Italian twist, this Peppers and Onions Chicken and Rice Skillet is a simple one-pan meal that is perfect for those busy weeknights.
Growing up almost all of us have eaten Chicken and Rice. You know that rice dish made with condensed cream of mushroom soup, rice, and the chicken that is nestled in then baked. A classic, sodium saturated, saturated fat loaded, casserole! But! That outside rim of crunchy rice was so worth it!
You know what I am talking about, don’t deny it!
Well, now that we are older and know better (at least I hope). I thought to myself, “Is there a way to make Chicken and Rice healthier, loaded with flavor, and still get that yummy crispness?”
YES YES YES
It only took me 3 years and only 20 different recipes to make it.
And it wasn’t because the other Chicken and Rice dishes didn’t taste good, but more so, it was missing something.
Do you ever have that happen to you, where a dish is good, but you know just with something it could be great?
That feeling is super annoying!
So, one thing I always loved about my mom’s Chicken and Rice, well besides that outer rim of rice, was how crispy she always got the chicken skin. It was never saturated or sunk in the rice. It always seemed like she placed it on top after cooking the rest of the dish. When she actually cook everything together in the same pan.
I switched that up a bit. Because I make this Peppers and Onion Chicken and Rice in a cast iron pan, I wanted to brown up the skin before I added it to the rice. Par-cooking the chicken then adding it back into the dish also insured that the chicken would be cooked all the way through.
The other perk to using a cast iron skillet is you brown the chicken, remove the chicken, saute the onions, carrots, celery, and mushrooms in the same skillet you browned the chicken, then add the herbs, frozen peppers and onions, rice, and stock. Place Chicken on top of it all cover and pop in the oven. All steps to this Peppers and Onions Chicken and Rice Skillet are all done in one pan. Meaning the only dishes you should have when you are done are a knife, a cupboard, a skillet, and a few plates and flatware.
And if the easy clean up didn’t sale you on this dish how about the dish is a 45-minute dish however 30 of those minutes is when the chicken and rice skillet is in the oven. Yep, that is right you only have to be in the kitchen 15 minutes to prepare this meal, less if you plan ahead.
I hope you enjoy this simple, delicious, healthier version of Chicken and Rice. Peppers and Onion Chicken and Rice skillet is an easy dish for those busy weeknights.
Peppers and Onions Chicken and Rice Skillet
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 large bone-in Chicken Thighs
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 stock (stick) celery chopped
- 2 oz mushrooms chopped
- 2 tbsp Italian Seasoning Blend
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups frozen peppers and onion blend
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cups Long grain white rice
- 2 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat until the foam from the butter begins to subside. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper, then put it in the pan skin-side down. Cook (resisting the urge to repeatedly poke, prod, flip or look underneath) until it doesn't stick to the pan and is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Flip the chicken over and cook for 5 minutes more. Transfer to a platter and set aside till ready for it.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In the same cast iron you browned the chicken in add chopped carrots, onion, celery, and mushrooms and saute 2 minutes until they start to soften.
- Stir in Italian Seasoning Blend, garlic, frozen peppers and onion blend. Pour in white wine and bring to a simmer.
- Once a simmer has started add in rice, chicken stock, and lemon juice. Give everything a good stir to combine.
- Place chicken on top of the rice, carefully (the pan is hot) cover and bake for 30 minutes. (See Tip)
- Allow to cool slightly, serve and enjoy!
Now all that is left is for you to pour yourself a drink, crank up the tunes, and get to cook’n!
Hope you all enjoy and if you like what you see make sure you sign up for our free weekly newsletter to get a heads up on what’s to come, recipes straight to your inbox, and future giveaways! Also, remember you can show your love by #messycuttingboardrecipes!