Busy lives need quick energizing filling meals. With just a little prepping and some “using what you got” you can make a delicious Strawberry Chicken Grain Bowl, in just a matter of minutes.
As years go by and my kids get older I am realizing I have less time. We just get busier and busier.
Last year I realized that I was running low on energy. I just had a hard time keeping up with the day today. I really needed something to change so I wasn’t missing out. However, being so busy left little time for me to add more to my schedule.
That is when grain bowls come in. Packed with nutrients that give you more energy. They fill you up keeping those hangry mood swings at bay, and with only a few simple preps you can have grain bowls for weeks.
The Creative Process of Chicken Grain Bowls
Chicken is a staple in our house. Do you make chicken weekly too?
If you do then putting a chicken grain bowl together will be a breeze.
First, anytime you make chicken make an extra piece or two. This will save you the entire cooking time for another dish during the week. It is a win win.
For the veggies there are a few ways you can do it:
First being just grab a frozen blend you like, steam it and you are ready to go.
The second and my favorite is, one prep day a month, for 30 minutes you can make enough veggies for 12+ grain bowls. Simply prep a butternut squash and a sweet potato by cutting it into cubes tossing the cubes in a little olive oil salt and pepper and roasted in a 400-degree oven for 20-30 minutes until fork tender.
Also cut Brussel sprouts in a half and cut up some broccoli into florets (or just buy the prepped pack next to the salad) toss those in olive oil and some salt and pepper and roast in a 400 until they just start to soften and turn brown, 10-20 minutes.
Once veggies are done divide them into individual servings and put each serving in bags and freeze. When you are ready to use it is as simple as take out thaw and warm up with your gain bowl.
Now onto the star of the grain bowl… the grains!
The biggest part of the grain bowl is, of course, the grains. You can make up some flavored rice in your instant pot or some farro on the stove. However, my favorite thing to do is grab some of those microwave seasoned grain packs from the store. Most packs have 2 servings meaning you get 2-grain bowls per pack. They come in plain or flavored and take minutes to make. The best part is they come in many different grains these days so whether you want farro, quinoa, rice, and the list goes on and on there is something for you!
Now add some dark greens for even more nutrients and texture (spinach arugula, or even some kale). You can even add nuts or dried fruit if your heart desires.
Finally the sauce. You don’t need a special sauce, you can use dressings, or salsa, greek yogurt, really the possibilities are endless.
How to Make Tangy Strawberry Chicken Grain Bowl
- Make your Farro according to package directions, and place in the base of the bowl.
- Take your chicken and lay it on top of the farro. I used leftover chocolate strawberry chicken from Valentine’s day for this particular recipe.
- Warm-up your veggies I used a combination of roasted sweet potato, butternut squash, broccoli, and Brussel sprouts. That I prepped earlier this month and froze.
- Drizzle with tangy Strawberry Balsamic Vinegarette and you’re ready to enjoy!
Gain energy without taking more time out of your day by prepping ahead once a month, and using what you got. Chicken grain bowls are a simple way to give you the energy you need.
Other Fruit and Chicken Recipes
Tangy Strawberry Chicken Grain Bowl Recipe
Quick Fix Tangy Strawberry Chicken Grain Bowl
- 1 cup Farro Measured before cooking
- 1 cup shredded or sliced cooked chicken breast I usualy use leftover chicken
- 1 cup mixed veggies of your choice I used roasted sweet potato, butternut squash, broccoli, and Brussel sprouts
- 4 whole strawberries
- 6 tbsp Strawberry Balsamic Vinegarette recipe linked below in instructions
- Take your leftover chicken and lay it on top of the farro. Half in each bowl.
- Add your veggies (I used a combination of roasted sweet potato, butternut squash, broccoli, and Brussel sprouts.). Half in each bowl.
- Placed sliced strawberries on top of the farro with the chicken and veggies. 2 strawberries per bowl.
- Drizzle with tangy Strawberry Balsamic Vinegarette 3 tbsp per grain bowl and enjoy!