Slow-cooked favorite! Tender, melt in your mouth, slightly spicy, and bold. A complete meal loaded with beef, potatoes, onion, and carrots cooked together in a saucy gravy-like sauce. Chili Coffee Roast Beef is a simple meal the whole family will love.
(Original post date June 5, 2017. Post revised and Edited September 1, 2020)
Sunday was once thought of as the day of rest, now I believe it is the day to get caught up. Like most American’s my family is crazy busy. The crazier thing is as the kids get older the busy I get, however, I cherish every crazy wacky moment.
When you have one of those weeks where there is not enough time for anything and Sunday rolls around, you realize that the to-do list needs to get done before it grows. What do you do for dinner?
You could get take out or if there is time to go out to eat, but we all know time controls our lives and there is never enough of it. So you are stuck cooking a family dinner, but you need a meal you can prep and forget about as you get your to-do list done.
That is when crock pots come in handy. You can prep your food put it all in one device, turn it on, and forget about it until dinner. That is how this roast got its name, Simple Sunday Chili Coffee Roast is the perfect busy Sunday dinner.
The Story of Coffee and Beef Being the Perfect Pairing
The story is short and one from the old day. When I say old I mean one from when chuckwagons were the main form of transportation.
A pioneer was in the back of the chuckwagon prepping some dinner. When something jolted the wagon causing coffee grinds to spill on the beef. He tried to rub it all off but it didn’t work.
Wasting food was not an option so he cooked it. Everyone loved it! It was flavorful and delicious! Since then Coffee and Beef have been a match made in heaven.
How to Make Chili Coffee Roast Beef
- Toss the roast into the crockpot, add chili powder, oregano, cilantro, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, beef stock, instant coffee, onions, carrots, and large chunks of potato (or new potatoes). Cover and allow to cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Once the time is up, remove the roast from the crockpot and set it aside to let it rest. It may fall apart as you pull it out, that is okay.
- Spoon out the carrots, onions, and potatoes, and put them on a serving tray.
- Shred or slice the roast. and place on top of the carrots, onions, and potatoes, and drizzle the juices over the top of the roast.
Note: Sometimes there are a lot of juices if you find there is too much juice just drizzle the about you would like to serve with the dish.
More Dinner Recipes
FAQ and Tips
Common Questions that get asked about the recipe, and tips to save you time and money.
- Can I make this recipe in an Instant pot?
Yes, add all the ingredients to the instant pot, select the meat option and let cook for 2 hours.
- I don’t like cooked carrots, is there anything I can substitute?
Parsnips and turnips are great substitutes but if you don’t like any of the options just leave them out and make the recipe with just potatoes and onions.
- My roast is still frozen can I still make this recipe?
You can still make this recipe except the cooking time will be 10-14 hours. If you want a tender piece of meat.
Get the Chili Coffee Roast Beef Recipe
Simple Sunday Chili Coffee Roast Beef
- 3 lb Round Eye Round Roast
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tbsp oregano
- ½ tbsp cilantro
- ½ tbsp cumin
- ½ tbsp onion powder
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp instant coffee grounds
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp beef base
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 20 small new potatoes One small bag
- Add the roast to the crockpot.
- Add in chili powder, oregano, cilantro, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder to the crockpot with the roast.
- Mix the beef base and instant coffee in a measuring cup with the hot water until it is fully dissolved. then add it to the crockpot.
- Add onion, carrots, and potato to the crockpot. Cover and let cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
- Cover and let cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
- Once done cooking, Serve and Enjoy!
Let’s Get Social
Pin Simple Sunday Chili Coffee Roast Beef Recipe
Looking For More Recipes
Be sure to head over to The Messy Cutting Boards Recipe Box where you will find family-friendly meals no matter what the season.