Slow cooker favorite, tender, moist, smoky, slightly spicy, and bold. A complete meal loaded with beef, potatoes, parsnips, onion, and carrots. Completed with a smooth quick gravy making this dish a family favorite. Chili Coffee Roast Beef is a simple meal the whole family will love.
Sunday was once thought of as the day of rest, now I believe it is the day to get caught up. Like most American’s my family is crazy busy. The crazier thing is as the kids get older the busy I get, however, I cherish every crazy wacky moment. Okay Okay getting off track where was I…oh yeah I was getting ready to tell you my solution for my crazy busy Sunday dinner!
When you have one of those weeks where there is never enough time for anything and Sunday rolls around now you are trying your best to get everything caught up so you’re not behind for the week ahead. What do you do for dinner? You could get take out or get ready and go out, but that is too costly. So you are stuck cooking a family dinner but you don’t have the time. So what do you cook?
Now, most people love their crock pots they cook almost every meal in them. I am not most people, I actually have a hard time with crock pot meals. I feel they lack freshness and flavor. However, on crazy busy days, I do like to take mine out and make a Coffee Chili Roast. It’s full of amazing smoky slightly spicy flavors. The best part is the side dishes are made in the crock pot along with the roast which means less clean up!!! YAY!!!
Besides the easy cleanup, it is incredibly easy to put together. In a shallow dish mix your all-purpose flour with the spices, herbs, and coffee. You want to coat the roast well in the flour-herb-coffee mixture. Now in a skillet on the stove top, brown all sides of the roast over medium heat, this will help lock in the juices.
Once all sides are browned toss the roast into the crock pot, add beef stock, carrots, parsnips, and large chunks of potato. Cover and allow to cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Once time is up, separate the roast from the carrots, parsnips, and potatoes, set aside and let it rest. It should fall apart easily no need for carving, but still, let it rest to help it retain what juices it can.
If you want gravy, keep crock-pot turn on high, in a saucepan melt butter and whisk in the flour. Add the milk to the butter and flour mixture once it is warm and it will be thick whisk into the crock pot whisking it into the drippings from the roast until it thickens into gravy.
Make your week even easier and buy a large enough roast to ensure you will have leftovers. Transform those leftovers into extra cheesy, veggie loaded, to die for Beef and Cheese Enchilada in a Chipotle Enchilada Sauce, or how about a simple pasta dish with tons of fresh flavors, Mushroom White Wine and Beef Orecchiette Pasta. Both dishes can be made ahead warm later or freezer meals for later that month.
Chili Coffee Roast Beef is the perfect busy Sunday family dinner to fit into your busy life and get you through the busy week ahead.
What to do with those leftovers? Come back Thursday for these recipes!!
Hope you all enjoy and if you like what you see make sure you sign up for our free weekly newsletter to get a heads up on what’s to come, recipes straight to your inbox, and future giveaways! Also, remember you can show your love by #messycuttingboardrecipes!
Chili Coffee Roast Beef
- 4 lb Round Eye Round Roast
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp instant coffee grounds
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp beef base
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 2 parsnips chopped
- 20 small new potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Grab your crockpot... clean out the dust. To make clean up easier use a crockpot liner.
- In a shallow pan large enough to fit your roast combine, flour, chili powder, oregano, cilantro, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and coffee. Coat the outside of your roast with this mixture by rolling it in the mixture.
- Place the roast in the crock pot
- Mix the beef base in the hot water to fully dissolve the beef base. ****Note: If needed warm water up in the microwave the hotter the water the faster the base will dissolve.
- Add onion, carrots, parsnips, and potato to the crockpot.
- Pour the hot water beef base mixture on top of everything. cover and let cook on low for 6 hours.
Make the Gravy
- Remove all beef, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and onions from crockpot, leaving on the drippings (the juice).
- In a sauce pan melt butter, once fully melted whisk in flour. As soon as the flour is well-combined add in milk.
- Add the mixture from the saucepan into the drippings from the roast. and whisk until well combined.
- Shred Roast, serve and enjoy!