No time for meal planning or prepping but want to make a quick and delicious home cooked meal? Chili Shrimp and Cod over Cheesy Grits is the perfect dinner for those nights you’re in a bind!
Sometimes, life gets in the way of meal planning or prepping for the upcoming week. That’s why I recommend you fill your pantry with a few extra boxes of pasta, extra grains, as well as, cans of tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and beans. Also, stock up on meat and seafood when you see a good sale. Doing this will help you get through those weeks life gets you in a bind.
Seafood is great for busy days. It thaws out fast and cooks quickly. Not to mention lean and healthy and a great base for bold flavors. It’s my “Ops I forgot to pull something out but no one will ever know, fix.”
When it comes to grits I prefer stone ground yellow grits. I don’t like the white grits I feel they lack flavor and the texture is mushy; where stone ground even fully cooked still has a course yet silky texture to them. But! Use what you like these cheesy grits are very versatile, just read the directions on the pack you buy for cook time.
Once grits are done start making the sauce for your shrimp and cod. Starting with frying up the bacon, then once bacon is removed sautéing the onions in the bacon grease. Then add tomato paste, herbs and spices, along with veggie stock and garlic.
While the sauce is cooking, rinse the shrimp and cut up the Cod. Drain and rinse your beans and strain any excess liquid out of the spinach.
That’s it folks Chili Shrimp and Cod over Cheesy Grits. A quick simple delicious weeknight dinner the whole family will love. Show that busy week who is boss!!
Hope you all enjoy and if you like what you see make sure you sign up for our free weekly newsletter to get a heads up on what’s to come, recipes straight to your inbox, and future giveaways! Also, remember you can show your love by #messycuttingboardrecipes!
Chili Shrimp and Cod over Cheesy Grits
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Chili Shrimp and Cod
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/8 cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp dry cilantro
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp cleaned and shells removed
- 2 cod fillets cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 15 oz can white kidney bean drained and rinsed
- 4 oz frozen chopped spinach thawed
- In a large sauce pot bring vegetable stock to a boil, Add grits and cook until water is absorbed, 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and cheese.
Chili Shrimp and Cod
- In a large deep skillet fry the bacon until browned, remove and set aside on a paper towel. In bacon grease add onions and saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and cilantro. Allow to cook for one minute and add vegetable stock.
- Rinse the shrimp and cut the Cod fillets into 1/2 inch pieces. Drain and rinse the beans and squeeze out any extra water that is in the spinach.
- Add Shrimp, cod, beans, and spinach to sauce. Cook until shrimp turn pink and the Cod becomes fork tender.
- Spoon grits into serving bowl with a generous spoon full of shrimp cod mixture. And Enjoy!!