Quick and simple meals are the way to go during a busy week. These Dijon Scallops with Mushroom and Onion Spaghetti is a quick simple dish you can whip up in under 30 minutes and limited dishes to be washed!
There is nothing more satisfying than a full-on surf and turf dinner! But who has time to whip that up during a week?
That is why I love to just play on the words surf and turf. Instead of steak infused the pasta with beef flavors. Yes, that sounds fancy and complicated but all I did was use some beef base to finish cooking the pasta with smoky bacon, and butter sautéed mushrooms
Now for the surf part! The Dijon Scallops. I love scallops they are simply delicious and cook up quickly. However, they are a bit on the pricey side, so it is always a treat when I find some on sale. Simple seasoning works best a little Dijon mustard, pepper, salt, a splash of red wine vinegar and olive oil.
Now put it all together. I first start by getting my water to boil for the pasta. The pasta I am going to
While I wait for the water, I fry up the chopped bacon. Then once the bacon is done I start chopping and sautéing my mushrooms, garlic, and onions in some butter and olive oil with a pinch of salt in the same pan deep pan I fried up the bacon. Once onions are almost translucent and the mushrooms are half their size.
Remove the mushrooms, garlic, and onions from the skillet. Then take your scallops and brown both sides in the same skillet with a little olive oil. This should only take 1 ½ minute per side. Make sure you do not overcook them, or they will be rubbery.
Remove the dijon scallops. Pasta should be cooked and strained by this point. Place pasta, pasta water, beef base, and bacon, the sautéed mushrooms, garlic and onions in the same skillet you have been cooking in. Cook pasta until all the water is absorbed into the pasta.
Place pasta on the plate. Lay scallops on top. Then for a little extra pizzazz and freshness chop up some fresh parsley and green onion and sprinkle on the top and serve.
So there you have it a fancy surf and turf without the turf Dijon Scallops with Mushroom and Onion Spaghetti weeknight dinner that will wow in under 30 minutes.
Looking for more quick and easy seafood dishes?
Don’t miss another post follow us on Instagram for the latest updates and much more!
Dijon Scallops with Mushrooms and Onion Spaghetti
- 8 oz spaghetti noodles
- 12 scallops
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms sliced
- 6 strips thick sliced apple wood smoked bacon cut in chunks
- 1/2 tbsp beef base like better than bouillon
- 1 1/2 cups pasta water reserved after you cook the pasta
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
Seasoning for scallops
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- fresh parsley finely chopped
- green onions chopped
- shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta just 1 minute shy of what is recommended on the package. Reserve 1 1/2 cup pasta water when pasta is done.
- Fry bacon in a deep large skillet over medium-low heat. Takes about 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Once bacon is crispy remove it from the pan and set aside for later. Drain off any excess bacon fat leaving only a small amount of bacon fat in the pan.
- Add butter and olive to the bacon fat and saute the mushrooms, garlic, and onions until mushrooms are half their original size and onions are slightly translucent. Takes about 3-5 minutes. Remove mushrooms, garlic, and onions from the pan and set aside for later.
- Whisk together Dijon mustard, pepper, salt, red wine vinegar, and olive oil.
- Dip each side of scallop in the dijon mixture. Then place in the skillet you have been using. You can use another tbsp of olive oil if you are afraid they will stick. Cook over medium-high heat 1 1/2 minutes per side. Remove scallops and set aside until pasta is done.
- Place bacon, mushrooms, garlic, onions, pasta, beef base, and reserved pasta water into the deep skillet toss everything to combine. Cover and allow the pasta to absorb the liquid for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the liquid is completely absorbed remove pasta from heat. Serve with scallops on top, garnish with fresh finely chopped parsley, green onions, and parmesan cheese and enjoy!