Need help figuring out what to do with those leftover baked potatoes in your fridge? This post will help you elevate the flavor and give you a total universal recipe you can use for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
(Original post date Aug 8, 2017. Links and post updated September 26, 2021)
No matter what I do I always have leftover potatoes!! Does anyone else have that problem? What do you do with yours, just heat them up and eat them, stare at them every time you open the fridge and do nothing with them, or just toss them out?
Growing up my mom would always use up any leftover baked potatoes for breakfast. It is like country potatoes, but an easier and much quicker version of them.
How to make Fried Potatoes from Leftovers
- Place a little butter in the bottom of a frying pan.
- Add chopped onion, bell pepper (optional), salt, and pepper and saute for a few minutes.
- Dice up leftover potatoes into 1/2 inch to one-inch “cubes” or “wedges” and add them to the pan with the onions. Fry them up until the white flesh of the potatoes starts to be lightly golden.
Those leftover baked potatoes in your fridge now have been given a new purpose and the flavor has been elevated with amazing texture.
These go great with eggs, omelets, pancakes, waffles, as well as, alongside chicken, pork chops, or even a burger or sandwich These little Fried Leftover Potatoes are a complete universal way to use up those leftovers before they go to waste!
Other Leftover Creations
FAQ and Tips
Common Questions that get asked about the recipe, and tips to save you time and money.
- Can I just chop up my leftover baked potatoes and freeze them for later?
Yes, just now when you take them out of the freezer they may be more damp.
- I don’t have baked potatoes but I do have potatoe’s from my slow cooked roast will those work?
Absolutely, however, because your potatoes were cooked in liquid they may fall apart more easily and take longer to brown up.
- Can I add other veggies to these potatoes or meat?
A recipe is just there to guide you, be as creative as you want. My family likes these potatoes with ham or sausage mixed in and sometimes they even like them with carrots or beets. They are even good smoothered in cheese.
Recipe for Fried Leftover Potatoes
Fried Leftover Potatoes
- 2 large leftover baked potato Diced
- 1 small white onion Chopped
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- Salt and pepper
- If you haven’t yet dice your leftover potato or diced your onion do so before you start making this dish.
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium low heat. Add onions with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until onions are softened and slightly translucent.
- Add potatoes in with the onions and turn up the heat to medium. Allow potatoes to cook for a few minutes before stirring. You want to allow time for the potatoes to fry up and turn golden brown. Continue cooking and stirring until all sides (well most) are golden brown.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!! Careful the inside of the potatoes will be hot.
Let’s Get Social
Pin Leftover Fried Potatoes
Looking For More Recipes
Be sure to head over to The Messy Cutting Boards Recipe Box where you will find family-friendly meals no matter what the season.