Hey guys!! I hope you all are having a wonderful year so far! I know it is never easy getting back on track with life and finances but that doesn’t mean you can’t still live. Having a budget is not a punishment.
Yes! We are all in a hurry to get out of this gutter and get on with our life’s but want to know what I realized the past few months? Obsessing over it all helps no one!! While we are all here obsessing over budgets and saving money, we sometimes forget that life is still happening.
But my big question is are you happy? Did you stop living because of all these numbers?
I know we did for a bit. I mean we got out, we went to the park and the library. We went to visit family and went to the zoo. However, we are in month 8 and if that is all I did in 8 months that really isn’t much.
If you follow me on Instagram you probably noticed in July we were really active in town and county events. My in-laws and sister in -law invited us to the El Paso Country fair. So, we decided to knock out 2 bird with one stone. School Shopping in the city with a little fair action to save on gas.
Thank God for my in-laws they get the hardship we are in and what our goals are and they were kind enough to pay for our fair and derby tickets. Which left us with the carnival ride expenses and dinner cost. All together we spend under $100.00.
Then we spent only $85.00 on the bulk of the school supplies (3 ring binder, 2 folders, Crayola crayons, pencil box, highlighters, composition notebook, 2 big easers, 24 Ticonderoga #2 Pencils, Crayola colored pencils, lose paper, 6 glue sticks, 2 pencil bags) 8 pairs of jeans, a new lunch bag, 2 sweaters, 1,000 hair elastics, an 8 pack of non-slip hair ties, 4 pack of scrunches and a 4 pack of bath luffas.
When we got home there were a few things we could not find at the store (either it was not there or just the deals were not great) that I needed to order off amazon.
- Thermal lunch containers because making home lunches is much cheaper than paying full price for school lunches (welcome to the middle class)
- Expo sharpie markers because the school wanted this brand and a certain amount with specific tip size and we could not find them at the store
- A Lap desk because she is going to be on a 4 school day week which means she won’t get home till about 530-6 o’clock, which means dinner, which means the table is occupied, and since there is no room for a desk in her room this was the best compromise to our situation.
- New water bottle because hers is looking pretty bad… I wouldn’t drink out of it.
- A thermos for hot beverages for the morning. It is a 30-minute bus ride and the mornings are going to get really cold.
- Traveling Tissues for her backpack, because of the long bus ride and buying in bulk is always cheaper.
- Large thing of clear glue for projects because it is the time to buy
- Expo dry erase board cleaner for our command station and whiteboards
- Kleenex tissue because the bulk is best split it between school and home
- Clorox wipes because the bulk is best split it between school and home
- ChapStick because it was cheaper to buy a 4 pack of eos from amazon then what I found at the store. Now she and I are good until next summer.
- Undies and Bras for her because the price was better then what I found at the store plus she got double the amount.
- Water bottles for Eli because that boy needs to lay off the bottle.
- Socks for Eli because he is down to 3 pairs because I swear the drier ate the rest.
I also splurged on a few things. Some party decorations and some Disney Descendants Plates and Cups. Jane has done so well with the move and all the changes. Not to mention all the no’s she has herd over the last year. She has been counting down to Descendants 3 since last summer and the least we can do is have a little party before school starts. Plus the decorations can double for her Birthday Party Decorations.
I also got myself a computer backpack because lately, I have been using Jane’s Schoolbag, but now that she is in school. I needed something of my own. So I told myself if I find one under $25 that I can use for traveling… and I found one with so much storage and space for even less!!
Then one thing since moving to the country I have learned to embrace is shooting the guns. Now I am not 100% pro-guns, however, being able to teach my kids gun safety since when we go for a walk we do carry a pistol thanks to rattle snacks I am learning to deal. My husband needed more bee bees for the training gun so we bought those in bulk as well.
All together the Amazon order was under $350. Now that sounds like a lot right!! But!! These things will last us a while we have 12 kleenex boxes for the house and 3 Clorox wipe containers, plus 2 extra eos chapsticks, traveling tissues to get us through the winter and the spring, and her lap desk, water bottle, thermos, and thermal containers will last us at least a few years. So when I look at the months to come and the payoff, in the end, I can live with that price.
The following weekend we went to our local country fair the Kit Carson Country Fair. This one there were no tickets to enter the fair only the Rodeo which we passed on. The first day we went was the kid’s day, free lunch a free challenge for the kids.
We tried to go back later that night, but the rain came pouring down. So, we decided to go to dinner instead which was under $35.00, unfortunately, the food wasn’t even worth that.
We went back later that weekend to enjoy the carnival rides and spent about $20.00. The kids and fun and we laughed until our tummies hurt. Can home and made pizza. Then we curled up to watch movies. Unplugged for the rest of the night.
Then a few weeks later the kiddos and I made another trip to the Springs so Jane and I could have a girls day with my mom and finish off some school clothes shopping.
I try to make it a point not to travel too much during the school year. Having an ASD kid it is important to keep a routine week after week unless it is a holiday for things to go smooth. So, this was an I will miss you and love you, type of girl’s day.
Thanks to the back to school readiness we really did not need to pick out much. Just a few shirts and some shoes. But thanks to my mom Jane felt like a princess the whole day and then some.
I also decided to get some project poster board and a big bottle of hand sanitizer, so she is ready for whatever comes her way.
Yes, it was a month we spent money. It was also a month we went out and lived. This is not an every month thing. It is also not something we will do until closer to the holidays. But! Sometimes YOU need it.
You need to set limits and budgets. Most of these things we used cash to ensure we did not overspend.
There are ways to live your life while getting things together without overdoing it. There are ways to enjoy living while you are scraping by.
What I learned is you still have to live life while you are on a budget. You have to acknowledge that life is happening all around you while you are figuring it out. You need to know that it is okay to live your life even on a budget.
So my challenge to you the next few months is to enjoy this journey, find an event in your budget that you can enjoy! Put money aside for it and bring only cash so you do not overdo it and regret it later. There is fun in having a budget.