Simple and quick, a mixture of tangy, salty, and savory with a little spice. Mix all that with everyone’s favorite food… Pizza. That is everything you get with this Greek Artesian Pizza with Lamb and Olives.
As I mentioned before when we made Ham and Black Olive Pizza my family is bringing back, old fashion, TGIF Family Fun Nights. One thing my family, loves to do is make pizza for these nights, and most nights my daughter picks the toppings. Sometimes though I need something a little more adult, or “fancy” as some may call it. On those nights I make one large pizza and one individual artesian pizza. I know what you are thinking what about your husband, where is his “fancy” pizza, and as my husband would say “I am her biggest kid.”
After Easter, I had a little leftover Moscato Yogurt Marinated Leg of Lamb that I didn’t want to go to waste, especially considering the cost, I wanted to get my money’s worth. I was also afraid to reheat it too much because then it would be tough and rubbery. So I thought “What can I make that would require minimal reheat?” Also what is a quick and simple? Lord knows I love cooking but I don’t want to spend hours in my kitchen a day, I just don’t have that kind of time to spare.
The only answer I could think of was pizza, simple, quick, and delicious! I made some Honey Cracked Wheat Pizza Dough so I would have a hint of sweetness, a little onion and radish straws for spice, Greek black olives and green olives for tang, and marinated artichokes as well as mild sweet piquant peppers. I used mozzarella because I wanted a cheese with a mild flavor.
For the sauce, I really wanted to use a tzatziki sauce but… warmed up…Yuck!! To use or not to use and if I used how would I use it. The decision was to use it but instead of putting the sauce on the pizza crust I decided to do the opposite and put it on the top of the pizza after it was cooked. I also decided to put a few springs of dill directly on the pizza before baking it and the finishing touch a little sprinkle of feta to add a little saltiness.
If you love lamb and you love olives. If you love Greek food and quick and simple recipes this Greek Artesian Pizza with Lamb and Olives is just the treat for you! Enjoy!
Hope you all enjoy and if you like what you see make sure you sign up for our free weekly newsletter to get a heads up on what’s to come, recipes straight to your inbox, and future giveaways! Also, remember you can show your love by #messycuttingboardrecipes!
Honey Cracked Wheat Pizza Dough
- 1 package active yeast
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cracked wheat flour
- Extra flour for kneading and Rolling
- Combine water yeast and sugar in a bowl and allow to rest until yeast starts to bubble. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Add in kosher salt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, honey, all-purpose flour and cracked wheat flour and mix until the dough comes together into a solid ball. If dough is too sticky add a little more flour. If it is too dry add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until the solid ball is formed. Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until you have a smooth slightly firm ball. (Only knead about 10-15 times)
- Grease a large bowl with remaining tablespoon of olive oil, add the dough, cover the bowl with a clean towel and put it in a warm area to let it double in size about 40 minutes.
- Once the dough has risen it is time to make your pizza!!
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 English Cucumber peeled
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp dill chopped
- 1 green onion
- 1/2 tsp mint
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients into the food processor, blend until you have a smooth non-clumpy sauce. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
Greek Artesian Pizza with Lamb and Olive
- 1/2 roll pizza dough
- 2 cups mozzarella pizza shredded
- 5 slices leg of lamb
- 5 pitted kalamata olives sliced in half
- 3 pitted Greek Large Green Olives sliced in half
- 3 marinated artichoke hearts sliced in half
- 1/8 small yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 pickled mild sweet piquante peppers sliced
- 10 radish straws
- 2 sprigs dill pulled apart
- 1/8 cup feta cheese
- tzatziki sauce see recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If you are using a pizza stone place it in the oven while the oven is warming. If you are using a pizza pan grease it while you wait for your oven to preheat.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out your dough to whatever shape you desire. Using a fork poke holes in the dough all around the pizza. (This will prevent big air bubbles)
- Once the oven is preheated place crust in pizza and precook for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese, place the lamb, olives, and onions, peppers, radish, and artichoke on top of the cheese, and then sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese.
- Place the pizza back in the oven for an additional 15-25 minutes depending on how you want your crust. 15 equals soft doughy crust, 25 minutes crispy crust.
- Allow pizza to cool slightly. Drizzle or dollop tzatziki sauce and sprinkle with feta cheese on top of the pizza. Slice and Enjoy!!