Looking for a simple, quick, and delicious way to use up leftover ham? Ham and Asparagus Carbonara is a perfect mid-week, money-saving, one-pot dinner that will make you say, “Oh yeah, these were leftovers.”
Okay, let’s be honest. We all scroll through Facebook and instantly stop when we see a food video. We are all guilty of it. Why do they have to make everything look so delicious? That is what inspired this Ham and Asparagus Carbonara recipe. I was scrolling throw Facebook and saw a food network video. It was Trisha Yearwood making her Country Ham Carbonara and I thought that looks so delicious and creamy! However, there was something missing.
When I make pasta the side dish is usually salad, however, as a mom, I know to get my kids to eat their veggies with pasta the veggies better be in the pasta.
So what veggies go well with ham peas are great, but my kids don’t like peas. Then I thought asparagus! I know what you’re thinking, they don’t like peas but they like asparagus. Yes! They are weird like their mother I just teach them to embrace it!
So now that we got that out of the way let’s get to cooking.
Cook your pasta according to the package directions. I decided to use Angle hair because it is what I had on hand. While the pasta is cooking I take my leftover ham and dice it into 1/8 inch squares. Take the asparagus and cut it into 1-inch long pieces. Finally, cut up the onion.
Once the pasta is cooked strain it and set it aside. Now take the same pot you cooked your pasta in and place it back on the stove. Add your butter and onions and allow them to cook over medium-low heat. While the onions are cooking go ahead and get your sauce ready. In a medium bowl add the cream, eggs, parmesan and a pinch of pepper give it a good whisk.
At this point, the Ham and Asparagus Carbonara comes together rather quickly. Once the onions have become slightly soft and begin to caramelize add in the asparagus and the ham. After two minutes the ham should be warmed through and the asparagus should be close to being done. Add in the pasta and toss until everything is well combined. Finally, pour in the sauce and toss until everything is well coated and keep tossing for about two minutes to allow the sauce to cook.
If you stop and just let it cook the egg will turn into scrambled eggs so keep tossing for the entire two minutes.
That’s it, folks! All that is left is to pour yourself and drink, turn up the tunes and get to cooking those mid-week blues away!
Ham and Asparagus Carbonara
- 1 lb Angel Hair Pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 lbs leftover ham Cut into small bite size pieces
- 1/2 lb Asparagus thin to medium thickness
- 2 cups grated Parmesan
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- fresh ground black pepper
- Start making angel hair pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and start to caramelize. Add garlic and give it a quick stir.
- Add the ham and asparagus to the pan with the onions and garlic and cook until ham is warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together parmesan, cream, eggs, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Add pasta to the ham, asparagus, onions, and garlic and toss until well combined. Toss in the cream, egg, parmesan mixture until pasta is well coated. Allow everything to cook while you toss of 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately and Enjoy