A simple one-pot wonder that only requires 5 ingredients but can feed a crowd! This amazing dish is light yet filling, simple yet full of flavor. The only thing you will want after eating Ham Boiled Dinner is another bowl.
(Original post date March 27, 2018 / Links and post updated November 8, 2020)
Growing up I remember going to Michigan to visit my family and I would always stay at my Grandma Betty’s house. Many of my fondest memories start with waking up to the smell of fresh-baked bread and coffee. Grandma was always the first up and the last to go to bed breakfast would be ready between 6 and 7 every morning and she would be sitting at the table with her crossword puzzle. Sometimes she would even make a full ham to go with breakfast, no joke.
Grandma’s Lessons: One Step to Save Money and Sanity
My grandma grow-up during the great depression, which meant, nothing went to waste at grandma’s house. That ham she made for breakfast would turn into two dishes and feed all of us (anywhere from 8-20 people) the entire day. The ham shank would be cooked up to flavor some
Grandma’s cooking was simple and delicious she didn’t spend the entire day in the kitchen cooking up extravagant meals with a ton of ingredients, instead, she transformed one main item into many dishes. She spent hours with her family telling stories and laughing, taking in the memories.
Yes, it is basic, and that simple to save money and sanity in the kitchen!
How to Make Ham Boiled Dinner
- Prep your veggies and ham. I like my boiled dinner with big chunks of vegetables so I slice them big, but if you prefer small bites feel free to chop your vegetables. Just note that they will cook quicker.
- Dice or cut up your ham. Just like the vegetables cut it in sizes you and your family like.
- Put everything into a large pot, add water and add salt and pepper but remember that ham is already salty so start with a little, let everything start to cook, and taste it again if it still needs more add more, but take your time adding the salt.
- Bring water to boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and let cook until the potatoes are fork-tender (you poke them with a fork and they slide right off).
- Once potatoes are cooked through use a slotted spoon to serve. Top with butter and enjoy.
FAQ and Tips
- Can you freeze the leftovers?
Unfortunately, this is a dish that doesn’t freeze well, because cabbage doesn’t freeze well. However what you can do is freeze the ham, onion, potatoes, and carrots and when you are in the mood for Ham Boiled Dinner pick up a pack of coleslaw mix and cook it with your frozen goods.
- How can you add more flavor to this dish?
These flavors are good on their own but if you wanted to up the “fancy” cook everything in chicken stock or ham stock to add more flavor.
- How can you adjust the amount of ingredients for only 2?
A good rule of thumb when cooking for cooking with potatoes is 1 potato person. When it comes to carrots and ham it really depend on your love for them. I like to use 1/2 carrot per person and 1/8 cup ham per person, but adjust to your liking.
It is easy to make Ham Boiled Dinner dish. So whether it is a homework night or you just need that extra snuggle time with the kiddos after a long day. Soak up all the memories you can and do as Grandma did and make it simple.
If this dish sounds amazing and you don’t want to wait for leftover ham. Try the traditional recipe for Boiled Ham Dinner made from scratch. Just as simple with the same great ingredients just takes a bit longer to cook.
More Leftover Ham Recipes
Recipe for Ham Boiled Dinner
Ham Boiled Dinner
- 2 cups leftover ham
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 3 whole carrots sliced
- 1/2 head cabbage sliced into strips
- 6 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot add ham, sliced onions, sliced carrots, and cubedpotatoes and cover with water. Bring water to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Allow everything to cook for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon to serve into bowls, top with butter serve and enjoy!