A meal in a bowl that takes under 60 minutes to make! Creamy cheesy broccoli cheddar soup loaded with ham and potatoes. There is no better way to use your leftover ham then this Ham and Potato Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
It’s been years since I moved away from a big city. There are things I don’t miss, the traffic, the fast pace, the basic hustle and bustle of any big city. However, I do miss the convenience of getting whatever food I wanted when I want it. One of my family’s favorite “fast food” stops for lunch or dinner was Panera Bread. We miss the variety of sandwiches and soups and the fresh squeezed lemonade! My favorite dish from there is their broccoli cheddar soup! That was my inspiration!
I was craving broccoli cheddar soup but I had to use up the leftover ham in my fridge before it went bad. Ham, broccoli and cheddar cheese has always been a great combination. So why not kill two birds with one stone, take care of my craving and use the ham.
Start by sautéing the onions in the butter along with the potatoes. This is the part that takes the longest, about 15-20 minutes. Once the potatoes start to soften add seasoning, herbs, and flour. Then add the vegetable base and the water and allow to cook 5 minutes until water starts to bubble. Next, add in the ham and broccoli cook another 5 minutes to warm through. Finally, the cream and the cheese is added until completely combined and the cheese has melted.
Yes it is really as simple as one paragraph and you get a flavor-packed, creamy, warm, and filling Ham and Potato Broccoli Cheddar Soup the whole family will love!
Other Leftover Ham Recipes You Will Enjoy!
Hope you all enjoy and if you like what you see make sure you sign up for our free weekly newsletter to get a heads up on what’s to come, recipes straight to your inbox, and future giveaways! Also, remember you can show your love by #messycuttingboardrecipes!
Ham and Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable base
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups leftover ham cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups broccoli chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- In a large pot over medium-low heat saute onions with a pinch of salt in butter, add potatoes in with the onions. Continue cooking until the onions start to soften and become slightly caramelized. About 20 minutes.
- Stir in yellow mustard, thyme and a pinch of pepper. Stir in flour to coat the potatoes and the onions.
- While constantly stirring add in vegetable base and water. Add in ham and broccoli and allow to warm through, approximately 5 minutes. Stir occasionally (every minute) once flour in completely blended into soup.
- Stir in heavy cream, allow to warm for 2 minutes, then stir in cheddar cheese until completely melted into the soup. Serve and enjoy!