Simple, quick, and full of flavor. That is what you will get with this Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice. It is the perfect side for Taco night or even with grilled fish! Who could ask for more!
After my parents bought me one for Christmas I had a few failed recipes because I was overturning the release valve to seal position. Once I figured out what I was doing wrong the Instant Pot has become my best friend.
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice was one of my first successful recipes. My neighbors were having a get-together and were kind enough to invite the kids and I. I asked if there was anything I could bring and they requested Cilantro Lime Rice since they were making grilled tequila lime chicken.
At this point, I haven’t made cilantro lime rice but I thought sure why not. What do I have to lose? Except maybe my reputation of being a good home cook.
When Jane heard it was Mexican grill out she yelled, “I will make my best guacamole, everyone loves MY guacamole.” Yes, I am still working on modestly with my ASD child, but as a mom, I am happy she gets just as much joy in cooking as I do.
I decided to use the instant pot for the rice because it makes rice in under 12 minutes, plus I can sauté the onions and garlic in the same dish. Making clean up easier.
Full disclosure, my husband was out of town; therefore, the easier and less time-consuming anything is, when raising two kids on your own, the better.
Once the onions were sautéed in butter I added the lime juice and the cilantro. I forgot to take down and measure out the rice before adding the lime juice.
By the time I got the rice down and measured the lime juice was a sticky goo on the bottom of the instant pot.
OH NO!!! I thought. Then I thought what the hell let’s just see how it turns out since it was not burnt to the bottom.
I added the rice and the stock gave it a quick stir to combine everything. Turned off the sauté mode setting. Closed the lid, made sure it was sealed and the vent was in the off position. Then hit the Rice button.
Within 10 minutes the Cilento Lime Rice was done. And… It tasted amazing. Caramelizing the lime juice really brought out the flavor.
The Instant Pot Cilento Lime Rice was a hit at the party as well as Jane’s best guacamole. Our reputations did not get tarnished by taking this risk! It was a good night filled with laughter and we all slept well.
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 small sweet yellow onion chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ⅛ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tbsp vegetable base
- Set Instant Pot on Saute mode. Place in the instant pot the onions and butter, cook and stir occasionally 5 minutes until onions are softened.
- Add the juice from one lime garlic and cilantro. Cook for 1 minute. Cancel the saute mode.
- Add rice, water and vegetable base, stir until combined. Place lid on and place it on the lock position, making sure vent valve is in the sealed position. Turn on Rice mode and let cook.
- Once the timer goes off signally rice is all done carefully move vent from the seal position to the vent position to depressurize the instant pot. BE CAREFUL THE STEAM RELEASED FROM THE VENT IS VERY HOT, REFER TO USER MANUAL ON THE PROPER WAY TO VENT YOUR INSTANT POT.
- Once depressurized you should be able to remove lid easily. Give the rice a good stir and serve.