Smokey, sweet, and slightly tangy everything you want in a good summertime baked beans. To make the pot even sweeter; instead of taking a half day to make these Instant Pot Whiskey Baked Beans take 3 hours from dry beans to finish. There is no soaking overnight.
When you think of summertime BBQ, what are the first thoughts that come to mind?
For me, because I am food obsessed, it is all the delicious sides. Potato Salad, coleslaw, corn salad, and, of course, baked beans.
Over the years, just like many people, I have had many different varieties of baked beans. Some were fantastic and full of flavor others well bland, dry, and not so good.
When I think of baked beans the first thing that comes to mind is smoky. The essence of summertime.
The next is sweet with a little heat and finally, you have to have a little tart tang in there. There must be a flavor bomb in every bite.
Besides flavor you also want a good texture, there is nothing worse than a batch of baked beans that are undercooked and dry. It is a total turn off.
That is why for the most part of my life I used canned beans I could never master the art of cooking dried beans. I was the undercooked and dry bean queen.
Then enters the Instant Pot. Not only can I skip soaking the beans overnight, but I can cook a whole batch of dried beans in approximately 50 minutes start to finish.
Now, when the instant pot first came out I questioned the hype. Is this thing just a trendy thing that will disappear in the next 6 months? Or is it the kitchen aid where it is the next best thing since sliced bread?
Then my wonderful parents bought us one for Christmas. At first, every meal I made in it failed, it wasn’t working right… must be defected, or like many things in life the operator malfunctioning. Then I realized after watching a ton of YouTube videos I was overturning the release valve.
The second-best thing about this Instant Pot Whiskey Baked Beans is since the Instant Pot has a sauté and slow cooker setting everything can be done in the same pot. Saving time and energy on the cleanup.
Can you get any better than that?
That is all it takes to make these smoky, sweet, slightly tangy, and oh so simple Instant Pot Whiskey Baked Beans. Have a wonderful yummy summer!
Instant Pot Whiskey Baked Beans
Cook the Beans
- 1/2 cup dry kidney beans
- 1/2 cup dry red beans
- 1/2 cup dry pinto beans
- 1/2 cup dry black beans
- 2 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp beef base
For the BBQ Base
- 4 thick slices of applewood bacon cut up
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds coarsely ground
- 3 allspice berries coarsely ground
- 1/4 tbsp mustard seed coarsely ground
- 1/4 tbsp ground paprika
- 1/4 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1/8 tbsp peppercorns
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp smoked sea salt
- 1/2 oz whiskey
Cook the Beans
- Place dry kidney beans, red beans, pinto beans and black beans in the instant pot dish. Add the water and beef base. Stir until beef base disintegrated. Place instant pot lid into lock position make sure vent seal is on the seal position and hit the bean button and allow beans to cook (45minutes). When the timer goes off allow to cool for 20 minutes, move vent to the vent position then open the lid. Remove beans and liquid and set aside until ready to use.
- Rise out and dry instant pot dish.
For the BBQ Base
- Turn instant pot onto saute mode. In the rinsed and dried instant pot dish fry up the bacon. While bacon is frying add onions and allow them to saute at the same time.
- Once bacon is brown and onions are soft add garlic, ground up coriander, allspice berries, mustard seed, paprika, chili powder, and salt. Allow cooking for 2 minutes then turn off the saute mode and place on slow cooker mode.
- If you haven't already grind up your coriander, allspice berries, peppercorns and mustard seeds
- Add the ketchup, mustard, soy sauce Worcestershire, apple cider vinegar, smoked sea salt, brown sugar, and whiskey. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Add cooked beans and liquid. Clove the lid with the vent open in the vent position and allow to cook 1 hour before serving.