Busy weeks don’t leave much time for family dinners. Sometimes it is a grab and go kind of night. That is what makes these Italian Chicken Sandwiches a perfect make-ahead, hearty, filling, delicious, dinner on the go.
The first time I made these Italian Chicken Sandwiches was one of those nights. Nothing in the fridge sounded good but I needed to feed the kids, so I needed to whip something up. My daughter earlier that day picked out some delicious fresh pretzel rolls from a local bakery stand at a “Soul Festival,” we attended.
The festival was… well… for lack of a better word disappointing. I mean if you are going to have a soul festival the least you can do is have some actual soul music and some delicious soul food. Yep, it was a festival, but it was missing all the soul.
Therefore, dinner had to be good. Make up for the lack of decent food I feed my kids all day.
I started by placing some salt and pepper on 2 chicken breasts I had in the fridge. Then I melted some butter along with some olive oil in a skillet.
Went out to my garden and grabbed some fresh oregano, basil, rosemary, and thyme. Rinse and patted it dry.
Once the butter was fully melted, I placed the chicken in the skillet.
While waiting for the chicken to brown I minced up a clove of garlic and gathered up a zucchini, yellow squash, onion, mushrooms and grape tomatoes.
Check on the chicken if brown on one side flip.
Wash and slice the zucchini, yellow squash, onion, and mushrooms.
Place the herbs in the skillet with the chicken and a hearty splash of white wine. Place skillet in the oven and allow the chicken to finish cooking 7-12 minutes. This really depends on the thickness of the chicken breasts.
Slice the rolls, place cheese and lay on baking sheet.
Once the chicken is done remove and set aside. Place the skillet back on the stove and add the zucchini, yellow squash, onion, mushrooms and tomatoes to the skillet and sauté for a few minutes until the tomatoes burst.
Toast the bread and melt the cheese in the oven.
Now slice stack and eat or place in the fridge for later.
For us, one chicken breast is enough for 3 sandwiches but if you or your family are meat over veggie people, I suggest making one breast per sandwich.
These Italian Chicken Sandwich are a complete meal between two buns. Perfect for busy weeknights or those nights you want a delicious simple filling sandwich.
Another Warm Delicious Sandwich Favorite!
Don’t miss another recipe follow the Messy Cutting Board on Instagram
Italian Chicken Sandwich
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 sprig oregano
- 5 basil leafs
- 1 small sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ zucchini quartered and sliced
- ½ yellow squash quartered and sliced
- ½ yellow sweet onion sliced
- 6 mushrooms sliced
- 10 grape tomatoes
- 4 pretzel rolls
- 4 sliced provolone
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt butter with olive oil over medium heat in an oven proof deep skillet
- Salt and pepper bother sides of the chicken breasts. Place in skillet with the butter and brown both sides. About 3-5 minutes per side. Place oregano basil, rosemary, thyme, and white wine in the pan with the chicken. Once both sides are browned and herbs are in pan place in the oven for 7-12 minutes until fully cooked (internal temp 165° Fahrenheit)
- When chicken is done remove from skillet and set aside to rest. Place skillet back on the stove and saute int zucchini, yellow squash, onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes until softened.
- While veggies are sauteing slice the pretzel rolls and toast in the oven until golden brown.
- When veggies are softened and rolls are toasted time to slice the chicken and build the sandwich. Don’t forget the provolone cheese. And enjoy
Leave a Reply