Get out of that boring mashed potato rut and add some flavor and texture to those splendid spuds!! This Onion and Chive Whipped Potatoes will give you a whole new perspective on what a simple side dish of potatoes is all about!
(Original post date Aug 23, 2017 / Links and post updated Nov. 29, 2021)
It took me years to realize that potatoes are just blank canvases ready to be painted with flavor. The first time I added flavor to my potatoes I kept it fairly simple with onion and chive cream cheese spread. Since then Onion and Chive Whipped Potatoes have been my favorite go-to.
During the work week, I really try to cook well-balanced, home-cooked, filling dinners for my family because sometimes my husband and I get so busy we skip… more like forget about lunch, my children eat breakfast, but for some odd reason barely touch their lunch at school. That is why dinner is so important in our house, come at dinner time we are all starving on the verge of getting Hungary and we need to get the calories to keep our bodies strong and healthy.
Mashed, smashed, or whipped potatoes are a bit time-consuming for weeknight meals, but sometimes I just need them. They are so comforting and just warm the heart after a tough day. That is why I make them ahead of time and warm them up in the oven the night I need some comfort.
These Onion and Chive Whipped Potatoes are really simple! Chop and boil your potatoes in salt water until they are fork-tender (you stab them with the fork and they fall off easily). Drain and place in a stand mixer or mixing bowl with butter, sour cream, onion, and chive cream cheese spread, a little more fresh chive to enhance the flavor, parmesan cheese, and a splash of milk and whip until they are silky smooth.
At this point, you can serve or place in a large casserole dish cover and refrigerate until you are ready to cook, or you can bake them right away to give them a crispy top for texture. They don’t take long to bake only 10-15 minutes if you do it right away if you are reheating they take about 20-25 minutes to heat through.
Just because it is the workweek doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a heartwarming comforting dish, sometimes you just need to get creative and plan a little ahead. Onion and Chive Whipped Potatoes is the perfect comfortable make-a-head dish.
Make It A Complete Meal:
More Side Dish Recipes
FAQ and Tips
Common Questions that get asked about the recipe, and tips to save you time and money.
- Can another type of potato?
Yes, white or golden are good subs for red, but if you can’t find any of those you can peel and use russet potatoes.
- Can these be made ahead of time and reheated?
Yes, this is a twice cooked mashed potato recipe. You can make these 2-3 days in advance. If cooking it in the same dish you had in the fridge take the dish out 1 hour ahead of time so it can get to room temp before placing it in the oven.
- Is there something I can do with leftover mashed potatoes?
You can use them to top shepards pie or you can make potato cakes or even potato bread.
Recipe for Onion and Chive Whipped Potatoes
Onion and Chive Whipped Potatoes
- 6 large red potatoes Washed, Quartered
- 4 tbsp butter unsalted
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- ⅛ cup Onion and Chive Cream Cheese Spread
- ½ tbsp chives chopped
- ⅛ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp milk more if potatoes are too thick
- Quarter and boil your potatoes in salt water over medium heat until they are fork-tender (you stab them with the fork and they fall off easily).
- Drain and place the potatoes in a stand mixer or mixing bowl with butter, sour cream, onion and chive cream cheese spread, chive, parmesan cheese, and milk ,and whip until they are silky smooth.
- At this point, you can serve, or you can bake in a 400-degree oven right away for 10-15 minutes to give them a crispy top for texture. or place in a large casserole dish cover and refrigerate until you are ready to cook. When ready to reheating place in preheated 400-degree oven for 20-25 minutes to heat through.
Let’s Get Social
Follow Instagram | Facebook to get post updates and behind the scenes craziness
Pin Onion and Chive Whipped Potatoes for Later
Looking For More Recipes
Be sure to head over to The Messy Cutting Boards Recipe Box where you will find family-friendly meals no matter what the season.
Leave a Reply