Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Save time, money, and the plant with one simple move. Transform your leftovers is a simple way to cut back on waste. Cutting back on waste is not only beneficial for the environment but it will also benefit your pocketbook. This Parmesan Chicken Asparagus Tart is one of my favorite leftover transformation dishes made with a simple universal blueprint.
A simple blueprint to help transform those leftovers in your fridge. This flavorful easy to make Parmesan Chicken and Asparagus Tart is a simple way to cut back on food waste in your kitchen.
Leftovers. The word most people avoid, dread, and cringe at. I know I used to be like most people. Then just like any other life-altering change I had to change my mindset because we were throwing out way too much food. I mean I literally started seeing dollar bills going in the trash.
Can you afford to throw away $2,000 a year? No, I don’t mean on gambling or anything fun… I mean directly in the trash. Whether you can afford it or not why would you want to? Did you know that is how much the average American Household throws out each year? According to an article published in 2012 by the Washington Post, there is approximately $165 billion worth of food waste a year in the US.
I took the whole limiting food waste as a challenge. Transform leftovers into something I would eat. Which in the long run I knew would save me time and even money but most of all help the planet. Everyone wins when you transform leftovers.
Take this Parmesan Chicken and Asparagus Tart. The only thing I had to make was the sauce. There was no running to the store or precooking anything.
It is a versatile dish, toppings are whatever you have in your fridge, the dough can be pastry or pizza dough. It is just a great basic blueprint recipe to transform leftovers.
- Using a buttered-up cast iron skillet stretch out your dough into the bottom and up the sides.
- For the sauce melt butter, whisk in flour, slowly add stock, then slowly add milk, allow to thicken, then add in the cheese.
- Pour and spread sauce on the dough in the skillet.
- Add your toppings and bake.
That is all there is to it folks a simple tart recipe blueprint to help you transform your leftovers into an amazing new meal.
Below is my favorite dish to make with this recipe blueprint Parmesan Chicken and Asparagus Tart. Perfect for a simple lunch or dinner. This dish will make you say, “I never knew leftovers could taste so good!”
Now all that is left is for you to pour yourself a drink, crank up the tunes, and get to cook’n!
Parmesan Chicken and Asparagus Tart
- 1/2 lb leftover asparagus precooked
- 1/2 cup leftover chicken cubed
- 1 batch pizza dough
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 3/4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium saucepan, heat the 1 tbsp butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden sandy color. about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock to the butter mixture whisking continuously until very smooth. Add the milk whisking continuously until well combined. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat. Add in grated parmesan cheese and nutmeg, and set aside until ready to use.
- Use 1 tbsp butter and spread along the inside of a 10 inch cast iron skillet.
- Roll out pizza dough to fit into the cast iron skillet. Place the dough in cast iron skillet. Press and spread the dough to the bottom and 1/2 way up the sides of the cast iron skillet.
- Pour and spread the sauce on top of pizza dough in cast iron skillet.
- Lay out asparagus and chicken on top of sauce. The toppings may slightly sink into the sauce.
- Place cast iron skillet into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the dough starts to brown. Remove from oven, cool slightly, slice, and serve.