In today’s world we are always go, go, go, always have something to do, places to be, people to see. The world only spends so fast, some days it seems like there is not enough time and I fail miserably, didn’t even get half my to-do list done. The kid went to bed without a bath, or a story. I try I really do but some days just seem impossible. Then I turn into my own worse critic, why can’t I keep up? It’s funny how one bad day can turn into a week or a month.
That is when I put my busy life on pause, whether my pocket book can afford it or not. The one thing I know is my mental sanity can’t afford it, and if I keep pushing my bad day, week, and month will turn into a year and we just can’t have that happen.
Do you ever notice when you are going through a rough time it rubs off on your entire family. It’s like germs we just can’t keep it to ourselves… Mama always taught us to share!! So what do I do when I get into the world is too fast for me rut? I arrange with my husband time off as family even if you just stay in your pajamas, watch movies, and relax.
These are the perfect days to do a slow braised meal. A meal that gets put in your oven for the entire day, and just cooks low and slow until the meat falls off the bone and becomes melt in your mouth tender. A meal that will fill your house with heartwarming smells of love and deliciousness.
That is why I like short ribs. The only way to cook them is low and slow (or in a pressure cooker but then that would ruin my article so I am going with low and slow). You speed up the process they become chewy and tough. Therefore making this dish will keep you at home, make you watch that movie you have been wanting to watch, read that book sitting on your night stand for months, play that board game you bought last Christmas you haven’t opened yet.
These Balsamic Red Wine Short Ribs are the perfect meal for a day you want to do a whole lot of nothing but enjoy being you, and your family!!
Red Wine Balsamic Short Ribs
- 1 tablespoon 1 olive oil extra virgin
- 6-8 short ribs beef
- 1 tbs Salt and Pepper
- 2 carrots chopped bite size pieces
- 2 celery stocks bite size pieces
- 1 large yellow onion bit size pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups red wine I prefer merlot however cab will do
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 rosemary stems
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Remove short ribs from package/packages and pat dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- On medium heat on stove top in large Dutch oven. Add olive oil and sauté carrots, celery, and yellow for five minutes. Add garlic stir in.
- Add wine to veggies, cook and reduce until half the amount of wine in the Dutch oven. Add balsamic vinegar and veggie stock bring to boil.
- Place the short ribs so they are lying flat in the liquid/veggies. Add the thyme and rosemary to the mix.
- Now place Dutch oven in oven and cook for 4 hours.
- In the meantime relax and make side dishes. Once 4 hours are done the meat should just fall off the bone that is when you know it is ready to enjoy!