When it comes to simple and delicious nothing can top this Rich and Cheesy Tortellini. That is unless you top it with grilled or braised chicken, beef, mushrooms.
This is a favorite dish not only because it is simple and perfect for the busy life’s most of us live, but because Rich and Cheesy Tortellini is the ultimate comfort food. Oh, and did I mention it can be made in advance and warmed up the night you are ready to serve?
The Creative Process Behind Rich and Cheesy Tortellini
Just like many of you, I am busy. Meal planning is something I aspire to do and have goals to do every week. However, sometimes I am lucky if I can get the groceries unloaded and in the appropriate spot before bedtime.
That is why I wanted to create a dish the kids would love, pasta. A dish that I could whip up with limited scrub by hand dishes. A dish that if need be I can make on the spot quick and easy, as well as, a dish if I had time to meal prep wouldn’t eat up most of my time and could sit in the fridge without altering the flavor or texture of the dish.
Rich and Cheesy Tortellini is made with a simple white parmesan sauce that takes less than 10 minutes to prep. The plus to this dish is if you have leftover chicken, beef, mushrooms, beans, or even frozen and thawed out and drained broccoli or cauliflower you can toss them on the top before you bake and you have an amazing meal ready to go.
Did I mention this sauce will cost you less than a jar loaded with preservatives you would pick up at the store? So even if it is made with butter and cream I will consider this a healthier option.
How to Make Rich and Cheesy Tortellini
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions.
- In a saucepan melt butter and whisk in flour, creating a roux. Slowly add-in cream and milk whisking completely together and allow to cook just until the mixture coats to the spoon without running off completely. Whisk in the Parmesan Cheese.
- Drain and pour Tortellini in a well-sprayed casserole dish and pour the parmesan sauce over the top.
- At this point, you can cover the dish and place in your fridge for up to 3 days, or place in the oven and bake in a 375 °F 15-20 minutes until the top is just starting to brown.
Cooking at home doesn’t have to be complicated. Sometimes it has to be simple and to be honest just like this Rich and Cheesy Tortellini simple is usually better and more delicious!
Get the Recipe
Rich and Cheesy Tortellini
- 1 package Cheese Tortellini
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 °F
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions. Drain and pour Tortellini in a well-sprayed casserole dish
- In a saucepan melt butter and whisk in flour, creating a roux. Slowly add-in cream and milk whisking completely together and allow to cook just until the mixture coats a spoon without running off completely.
- Whisk in the Parmesan Cheese.
- Pour the parmesan sauce over the top of the tortellini. Place in oven and bake 10-15 minutes until the top is just starting to brown. If you don't like it saucy back it for 20 minutes.