Who ever said a side dish can’t be the star? Russet Sweet Potato Medley with Beets and Feta is the perfect combination of sweet and savory with a slight creaminess from the feta cheese sprinkles. You just can’t go wrong with this unique combination!
As a mother, you have to find creative ways to get your kids to eat their vegetables. The first time my daughter ate beets I told her they were beets, she did not like them. A few weeks later I made them again, but I sliced them differently and put them in a vegetable medley. When she saw them she asked what they were, fearing her dreadful mother was giving her those awful beets. My response, “They are purple carrots!”
Yes, I know one should not lie! But! A mom’s got to do what a mom’s got to do!! She loves carrots, and she ate all the beets that night then asked for more. One day I will tell her the truth, but for now, they are purple carrots… not beets.
Okay, enough about me and my “amazing parenting skills” let’s talk about this Russet Sweet Potato Medley with Beets. It is a relatively simple dish to make. The first thing you want to do is take your cubed potatoes and boil them in salt water for 5-7 minutes.
Once they start to soften they are done you don’t want them to be mashed potato soft. Now drain the water out of them and place them into a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat with some butter, sweet potatoes, salt, and herbs. Stir until well combined and butter is completely melted. Next, take your sliced beets and lay them on top of the potato mixture.
Do not mix the beets in, if you do they will not crisp up. Now place the cast iron skillet into your preheated oven and allow to cook for another 30-45 minutes until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
When they are done the potatoes will be tender and the beets with have a slight crisp to them. The final step is to remove the cast iron skillet from the oven and sprinkle with feta!!
Now time to serve the sweet yet savory and slightly creamy Russet Sweet Potato Medley with Beets and enjoy!
If you want to make this complete meal check out:
Hope you all enjoy and if you like what you see make sure you sign up for our free weekly newsletter to get a heads up on what’s to come, recipes straight to your inbox, and future giveaways! Also, remember you can show your love by #messycuttingboardrecipes!
Russet Sweet Potato Medley with Beets and Feta
- 3 large russet potatoes peeled and chopped into small cubs
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into small cubs
- 3 small beats peeled halved and sliced
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh dill weed chopped
- 1/2 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/4 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp feta crumbles
- Fill a large pot with water and add your peeled and chopped russet potatoes with a pinch of salt. Bring up to a simmer over medium-low heat let potatoes boil in water for 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degresss
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet, add boiled potatoes, sweet potatoes, salt, dill, mint, onion powder, and garlic powder to the butter in cast iron skillet.
- Lay the sliced beats on the top of the potatoes. Drizzle the olive oil over the top of everything.
- Place the cast iron skillet into the oven and bake for 1 hour
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly! Sprinkle with feta crumbles
- Serve and enjoy!