Crispy on the outside soft and buttery on the inside. These simple garlic knots are not only delicious but they are incredibly simple to make.
Whether it is a Fun Family Pizza Friday Night or a Spaghetti and Meat Ball Monday simple garlic knots are the perfect side dish the whole family will love.
The Creative Process of Simple Garlic Knots
To be honest, this wasn’t really a creative process, more of a well I don’t want to run to the store so I am going to wing it and hope I don’t make a mistake.
We all have those meals where we plan it out in our heads and it sounds so good. We go to the store, we are ready to go. Then you realize you forgot something or you didn’t by enough of something.
For most people, they would just run to the store or send the husband, but I live 20 minutes from the closest grocery store, and truth be told I didn’t want to make the drive there and back.
It was Pizza Friday and all I had was pizza. So, I had pizza dough, I have butter, and I have garlic, and since it was Pizza Friday why not make it fun and knot up the bread.
And that my friends is how that process worked.
How to Make Simple Garlic Knots
- Start with the dough. Basic pizza dough, from the store or you, can make it. ****Tip if you do buy it from the store by the ball of pizza dough. Which can be found in the freezer section or some stories have some chilled near the deli in the coolers. The ones in the tubes or the box mix do not work as well for this garlic knots ****
- Once your dough has rested and risen it is time to get to work. Divide your dough into 4 equal parts
- Working one portion at a time do your best to roll it out into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Take a half stick of unsalted butter and melt it down. Once completely melted add in your garlic and a sprinkle of salt.
- Now brush the garlic butter on top of the dough edge to edge, corner to corner, cover the whole thing.
- Now take a pizza cutter and divide into equal strips
- Take one strip at a time and tie it into a knot. Set the prepared knot on a baking sheet 1 inch apart. Cover and let rise for another 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake the garlic knots in a 375 oven for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Once out of the oven brush one more time with the garlic butter mixture and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
Sometimes an oops you have to use what you got cooking moments can be a blessing and forced to make a delicious dish your whole family will keep asking for. These Simple Garlic Knots were my favorite oops moment. What is one of yours?
Get the Recipe
Easy Garlic Knots
- 1 batch pizza dough
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp parsley
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Make or prep pizza dough according to the recipe or package instructions
- When the pizza dough is ready, melt butter and mix in the parsley and garlic powder
- Roll out pizza dough to ¼ to ⅛ in thick rectangular shape works best. Brush the top of the rolled pizza dough with half the melted butter mixture.
- Using a pizza cutter cut the pizza dough into strips. 1 inch wide and at least 2 inches long.
- Take one strip at a time and fold in half longways making the strip look thinner.
- Now wrap around your fingers and tie into a loose knot, be careful not to pull too hard
- Play on a greased or lined tray 1/2 inch apart. Repeat until all are knotted and on the sheet. Brush the tops with the remaining butter. Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the tops start to turn golden brown. As soon as they come out of the oven dust with parmesan cheese (optional) and serve.