When you think Gluten-Free you think cardboard flavored food, but it doesn’t have to be. There have been so many advances since the “gluten free” movement started that takes the flavor from blah to delicious and flavorful! These Simple Gluten-Free Waffles will have you thinking twice about going gluten-free.
Before we get into the recipe I must be honest; by all no means, my household including myself is not gluten free, but I work in some recipes that are gluten free from time to time. My reasoning, well, studies and reports suggest that going gluten free can help with behaviors related to autism. However, if I take my child’s bread, biscuits and pasta away she will have a meltdown and she cannot stand the taste of the gluten-free varieties, so I figure limited gluten is the way to go!
Waffles are one of those dishes that we feel are good gluten-free because you top them with honey, any nut butter, or any syrup you like. But I wanted a recipe where we didn’t need to pile on the flavor to make it taste good, and after messing around with this recipe for a while, I have it down where there are no add-ons needed.
Mom’s love waffles because they are easy to make and if you have a crowd to feed in the morning you can make them as needed, just put out the batter and the waffle maker alongside a build a make your own waffle bar complete with maple syrup, Blueberry Syrup, Tart Cherry Syrup, whip cream, fruit, and anything your heart desires!
You are probably thinking with gluten free you have to buy all these special ingredients. BUT! Nowadays there are multiple companies out there that make All Purpose Gluten Free Flour, with starches and Xanthan Gum so you only need to pick up one special ingredient that cost less than $15.
In a large mixing bowl combine Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, milk, melted butter cooled, eggs, honey and vanilla extract and whisk it all up until it is clump free. Yes!! I know it is really that simple, the kids can even help!!
Hope you all enjoy and if you like what you see make sure you sign up for our free weekly newsletter to get a heads up on what’s to come, recipes straight to your inbox, and future giveaways! Also, remember you can show your love by #messycuttingboardrecipes!
Simple Gluten Free Waffles
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 3/4 cup room temperature milk (nut milk or cow's milk)
- 4 tbsp melted butter cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, whisk together all ingredients: Gluten-Free All-Purpose flour, baking powder, salt cinnamon, milk, melted butter, beaten eggs, honey and vanilla extract, Whisk for 3 minutes, the batter may still look lumpy. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes then whisk it for another 2 minutes.
- Plug in your waffle maker to preheat. Once preheated pour batter onto the heated waffle iron, enough to cover the center and most of the central surface area, and close the lid. Once the waffle is deeply golden and crisp, transfer it to a cooling rack or baking sheet. Don’t stack your waffles on top of each other, or they’ll lose crispness. If desired, keep your waffles warm by placing them in a 200-degree oven until you’re ready to serve.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with your choice of syrup or whatever topping your heart desired and enjoy!!