This end of summer heat has been brutal. Plus selling my house has eaten up lots of my time. Making salads are a perfect lunch or dinner option. This Southwestern Chicken Salad is at the top of that list. Delicious, full of bold flavors, light yet filling perfection.
Making these big meals on the weekend makes cooking during the week much easier because all you need to do is transform the leftovers into new amazing meals.
With chicken, you can toss it in pasta, place it in tacos, or make a simple sandwich! Then there is always an incredible salad just like this Southwestern Chicken Salad.
I think the thing that makes this Southwestern Chicken Salad so incredible is the Smoked Poblano Pesto that replaces the dressing. Making this salad diet friendly! Flavorful, filling, delicious and diet friendly no that is not a joke just a fact.
Southwestern Chicken Salad
- 1/4 head Romain Lettuce Chopped and Cleaned
- 1/4 head oak leaf lettuce Chopped and cleaned
- 1/8 cup black beans
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cucumber sliced
- 1/8 cup roasted corn
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked chicken
- 1/8 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp smoked poblano pesto (recipe below)
Smoked Poblano Pesto
- 1 poblano roasted
- 1/8 cup sunflower seeds shells removed
- 1/4 sweet yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil
- Once lettuce is chopped, cleaned, and dried lay it on a plate
- Take the remaining ingredients and toss them with lettuce or you can lay them out in sections on top of the lettuce as shown in the picture. Toss with the pesto (instructions below) and enjoy!
Smoked Poblano Pesto
- Roast Poblano pepper either on the stove top or in the oven. Here is a great article on how to roast a pepper?
- Place pepper, sunflower seeds, sweet onion, garlic, and cilantro into a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Start adding olive oil a few tablespoons at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve on a salad, use as a marinade, or use as a sauce.