Have you ever just had enough leftover Turkey for a small sandwich, but when it comes to making that sandwich it does not sound appetizing? Well, I have the perfect fix to that problem. With a few extra ingredients, you can make a full of flavor healthy Turkey Tomato Spinach and Garlic Crostini.
I normally don’t give long explanations or stories of how meals came to be but there is no better way to explain this Turkey Tomato Spinach and Garlic Crostini. So here we go, folks, the story of how this meal came to be.
I am really doing my best to cut back on our food waste, so even though I was not in the mood I really didn’t want to throw the leftovers away.
I had just enough turkey for a small turkey sandwich but let’s face it they get boring after a few days. Then one day for lunch I really wanted something warm because it was chilly out and I just felt like eating something cozy. That sounds weird, but you know what I mean?
I stood in front of my fridge saw the turkey, cringed because a sandwich was supposed to be my lunch. Then saw the ingredients I was going to use for my salad, spinach, tomatoes, and some chopped onion. Grabbed everything for my sandwich and my salad. Placed it all on the counter and stared at it. Was there something else I could do?
I could make a wilted spinach salad to go with my sandwich. So, I started doing that, sautéed my onions in a little olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. I love garlic in a wilted spinach salad, so I added some minced garlic. Decided to sauté the tomatoes too, because it just enhanced their sweetness.
Looked over and what I had left was my turkey, cheese, and bread. A sandwich still did not sound good. That is when I had my ah ha moment! Just add the turkey to the salad, toast the bread, melt the cheese on top of the bread and make a turkey tomato spinach and garlic crostini. Essentially an open-faced toasted sandwich.
There you have it, folks!! A simple way to transform your boring sandwich and salad lunch into a simple delicious satisfying warm and cozy lunch.
So next time you have just enough turkey for a sandwich remember you don’t have to settle just add a few ingredients and make yourself a Turkey tomato spinach and garlic crostini.
So now all that is left is for you to grab yourself a drink, put on some good music, and get cookin’!!
Turkey Tomato Spinach and Garlic Crostini
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted/ divided
- 8 baguette slices 1 inch slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 20 multi-colored cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 bunch fresh spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup leftover smoked turkey
- 1/4 lb fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- Melt butter in a deep skillet over medium heat. Place baguette slices in butter flip once and then let toast 2-3 minutes until bread turns golden brown, flip and let that side toast up. Once both sides are golden brown remove from the pan.
- Place olive oil in the same pan you toasted the bread in. Add the onions, garlic, and salt to the olive oil. Allow onions to saute 2-3 minutes over medium-low heat until they are slightly translucent.
- Add tomatoes, spinach, and turkey to the onions and allow to cook another 5 minutes.
- While the tomato turkey mixture is cooking, lay out toasted baguette slices on a baking sheet, pull apart the mozzarella and place it on top of the baguette slices. Place baguette slices under broiler until cheese begins to melt 1-2 minutes.
- Spoon the tomato turkey mixture on top of the baguettes sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve.