When the weekend comes, I am ready for some downtime with my minis. Sometimes the only downtime we get is first thing in the morning before the games and errands start. Which is why we make the most of it. Vanilla Almond Dutch Baby Pancake is perfect, put life on pause, and enjoy the moment type of dish.
Oh, me oh my guys!!! I mean really this year has been c.r.a.z.y crazy and if you follow me on Instagram and have seen my stories you will see a lot of Dutch Baby pancakes pop up. I have been wanting to share some of these recipes with you since spring, but this thing called life has got me and the fam tied up.
Between losing a job, finding a job, traveling, the kids, then finding another new job, the processes of moving (still going through the motions), school starting, birthday parties, and just this thing called life. I won’t lie it has been hard to keep up with this blog and all the recipes. But! We have managed and now I get to share one of my favorite fall breakfasts with you!
Vanilla Almond Dutch Baby Pancake look fancy enough to wow your mother in law but honestly is the easiest thing to make. All you need is a cast iron skillet, a blender, oh and a few ingredients and you are ready to go.
First thing is first with this Vanilla Almond Dutch Baby Pancake place all the ingredients except the butter into the blender and blends until smooth. Wow now that the hard part is over…
Melt the butter in the cast iron skillet in your preheated oven.
The reason why I mix my batter first then melt the butter is that it gives the batter time to rest allowing the glutens to do their work.
Once butter is melted carefully remove the dish from the oven, and very very carefully pour batter into the hot cast iron with the butter and immediately place cast iron back in the oven and allow to bake.
Once done the outer rim is golden brown and the middle may look puffy but then it will go flat after a moment out of the oven. That is okay.
Top with your favorite fruit and dust with powdered sugar and you are all set!
For this fall we have been on a apples and peaches kick so these brown sugar macerated apples and peaches are the perfect pairings for this Vanilla Almond Dutch Baby Pancake!
Vanilla Almond Dutch Baby Pancake with Brown Sugar Macerated Apples and Peaches
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
Macerated Apples and Peaches
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 peach peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp pumpkin spice seasoning
Brown Sugar Macerated Apples and Peaches
- In a large bowl mix the cubed apples and peaches with the lemon juice, brown sugar, pumpkin spice and a pinch of salt. Set aside for later.
Vanilla Almond Dutch Baby Pancake
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a blender, combine the eggs, flour, milk, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla and almond extract and a pinch of salt, and blend on medium-high speed until uniform. (If mixing by hand, combine the eggs with the milk until the mixture is light yellow and no longer stringy, takes about 1 minute. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, vanilla, and a pinch of salt, and whisk vigorously to remove the lumps.)
- Put butter in large cast iron skillet and place in the oven to melt. Takes about 3-5 minutes.
- When the butter is completely melted carefully remove the hot pan from the oven. Swirl the butter around the pan to coat completely, and then carefully pour the batter into the hot pan and return the pan to the oven. Cook until the pancake is puffed in the center and golden brown along the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- To avoid a soggy center remove the entire Dutch baby from the pan using a spatula and place on a cooling rack for a few minutes. This allows the steam to escape without condensing.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar when cooled slightly. Slice the pancake and serve with Macerated Apples and Peaches.
Hope you all enjoy this Vanilla Almond Dutch Baby Pancake Recipe and if you like what you see make sure you sign up for our free weekly newsletter to get a heads up on what’s to come, recipes straight to your inbox, and future giveaways! Also, remember you can show your love by #messycuttingboardrecipes!