Zesty, slightly spicy, and everything dirty rice should be without the meat! This Vegan Dirty Rice is everything you crave in the traditional dirty rice without the extra fats and calories and is a plant-based family favorite.
(Original post date January 29, 2019 / Links and post updated November 10, 2020)
How is your new year’s resolution going… you know that one about trying to eat healthier? If you are still on track, good for you! If you find yourself struggling, that’s okay. Sometimes the healthier alternative to your favorite dishes just lacks the craving factor. If you are craving dirty rice this healthy vegan dirty rice is just for you.
At the beginning of the year, I promised myself I would start eating more plant-based meals. This wasn’t because I wanted to lose weight, instead, it was because I am in my early 30’s and it is time I focus on my health.
Besides, anytime we eat meat my daughter questions what animal it was and how the animal was feeling. That kind of ruins dinner time.
What to do When You Can’t Find a Recipe
One day I was craving something Louisiana. Zesty with a little kick. I looked up dirty rice, but I really didn’t want any hamburger or ground meat. I had a really hard time finding a Vegan Dirty Rice or even a plant-based veggie-loaded spicy rice.
That did not stop me and my baby girl she really wanted a vegetarian meal too. So we got creative. Here is what I like to do when I can’t find a recipe that fits my craving.
- First, find a recipe that is almost what you want just to have a basic concept of the dish. Recipes, whether they are on the MCB or another site or even a cookbook, are just guidelines. If you don’t like an herb remove it or change it for something you like. If you want quinoa instead of rice then substitute it.
- Next, round up all the spices and or herbs you will need.
- The next step would be to gather all the other main ingredients you will need. For example in this Vegan Dirty Rice I need rice it is the main ingredient.
- Finally, determine what else you want to add to make the dish your own. In this case, it was beans and all the veggies from our fridge.
- All that is left is for you to make your craving dreams come true and get to cooking.
This process is one that works really well when you need to transform your leftovers. Find a recipe you like and make it work with what you have. This saves you money on your grocery bill and time during your busy week.
How to Make Vegan Dirty Rice
- In a deep skillet sauté onions, celery, beet green stems (not the leaves), yellow peppers, with grapeseed oil until soft. 7-10 minutes. If these are not vegetables you usually eat feel free to use what you like.
- Stir in the mashed garbanzo beans with paprika creole seasoning and allow to cook 2 minutes. (I just put them in a bowl and use a fork to slightly mash them).
- Stir in grape tomatoes, garlic, black beans, beet green leaves, and rice. Let cook for 5 minutes then serve! I had leftover cilantro lime rice in my fridge which gave this dish a little more zing.
FAQ and Tips
- Can I use quick rice that you microwave for this recipe?
This recipe is very versatile, so yes you can. Just make sure you have enough servings. If you are make it for a family of 4 you will need 2 pouches.
- Can this recipe be made ahead of time?
Absolutely, it can be made up to 3 days in advance. If you are meal prepping it for lunch you can reheat it in the microwave for 2 minutes. If you make it in advance for a family of 4 reheats in a large deep skillet over medium/high heat until warmed through.
- Can this dish be frozen?
It really depends on the vegetables you use. If you follow this recipe as it is written it freezes nicely. If you switch out for other vegetables such as cabbage or radishes it will not freeze well.
Sometimes I pop on to Instagram and show you how I create the recipes as I am making them up. This was one of those recipes
As a mom, one of my biggest battles is those that involve vegetables. But with dishes like this Vegan Dirty rice which has all the crave-able flavor of traditional dirty rice but with a delicious plant-based twist, I am always victorious.
More Weeknight Vegetarian Dishes
Recipe for Vegan Dirty Rice
Vegan Dirty Rice
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 bunch beet greens stems chopped and separated from chopped leafs
- 3 baby orange peppers chopped
- 2 celery stocks chopped
- 1 cup garbanzo beans mashed
- 12 grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tbsp creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro lime rice
- In a deep skillet saute onions, celery, beet green stems (not the leaves), yellow peppers, with grapeseed oil until soft. 7-10 minutes.
- Stir in the mashed garbanzo beans with paprika creole seasoning and allow to cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in grape tomatoes, garlic, black beans, beet green leaves, and cilantro lime rice. Let cook 5 minutes then serve!
Pin Vegan Dirty Rice for Later
Looking For More Recipes
Be sure to head over to The Messy Cutting Boards Recipe Box where you will find family-friendly meals no matter what the season.