Zesty, slightly spicy, and everything dirty rice should be without the meat! This Vegan Dirty Rice is everything you crave in the traditional dirty rice without the extra fats and calories.
How is your new year’s resolution going? You know that one about trying to eat healthier? If you are still on track, good for you! If you find yourself struggling, that’s okay. Sometimes the healthier alternative to your favorite dishes just lacks the craving factor. If you are craving dirty rice this healthy vegan dirty rice is just for you.
At the beginning of the year, I promised myself I would start eating more plant-based meals. This wasn’t because I wanted to lose weight, instead, it was because I am in my early 30’s and it is time I focus on my health.
Besides, anytime we eat meat my daughter questions what animal it was and how the animal was feeling. That kind of ruins dinner time.
One day I was craving something Louisiana. Zesty with a little kick. I looked up dirty rice, but I really didn’t want any hamburger or ground meat. I had a really hard time finding a Vegan Dirty Rice. A Veggie Loaded Dirty Rice.
That did not stop me and my baby girl. Instead, we gathered up all the spices, then all the veggies and the beans we wanted to use. Oh, and let’s not forget the leftover rice in the fridge. Then we got to work. Shared our experiment on Instagram step by step.
Wanna know how we made it check out the recipe below!
This Vegan Dirty rice has all the craveable flavor of traditional dirty rice but is loaded with healthy nutrients compared to calories and fats.
Looking For More Weeknight Vegetarian Dinners
Vegan Dirty Rice
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 bunch beet greens stems chopped and separated from chopped leafs
- 3 baby orange peppers chopped
- 2 celery stocks chopped
- 1 cup garbanzo beans mashed
- 12 grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tbsp creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro lime rice
- In a deep skillet saute onions, celery, beet green stems (not the leaves), yellow peppers, with grapeseed oil until soft. 7-10 minutes.
- Stir in the mashed garbanzo beans with paprika creole seasoning and allow to cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in grape tomatoes, garlic, black beans, beet green leaves, and cilantro lime rice. Let cook 5 minutes then serve!