Veggie Loaded Parmesan Gnocchi with Citrus Garlic Pesto
A quick, delicious, protein-packed, vegetarian dish Veggie Loaded Parmesan Gnocchi with Citrus Garlic Pesto is made with leftover ingredient making this dish simple and inexpensive.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tbsp vegetable stock base
- 2 mini red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 yellow squash cut inch 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/2 zucchini cut inch 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/2 lb Asparagus cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 small eggs
- 1 1/2 cup flour plus some for rolling
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Citrus Garlic Pesto
- 1 cup fresh Italian Parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- salt to taste
Make the Gnocchi
Place leftover mashed potatoes, eggs, flour, and parmesan in a food processor and mix until a ball is formed. If the dough is sticky add a little more flour, until ball forms.
Shape small portions of the dough into long "snakes". On a floured surface, cut snakes into half-inch pieces.
Bring a big pot of water with salt to a boil. Drop in gnocchi and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until gnocchi have risen to the top. Use a slotted spoon to remove gnocchi. Set aside on wax paper if you are not ready to add them to the skillet if you are ready just add them to the skillet.
Make Citrus Garlic Pesto
Place fresh Italian Parsley, lemon juice, garlic, orange zest, grated Parmesan cheese, olive oil, almonds, and salt into food processor and blend until everything is finely chopped and incorporated. If mixture appears too thick feel free to add more olive oil.
Everything Comes Together
Heat up water in microwave safe bowl, stir in and dissolve vegetable base in the water.
In cast iron skillet saute the onions in 1/2 tablespoon butter over medium-low heat until slightly translucent. Add in almonds and let them toast and turn a light brown for a few minutes.
Place remaining 1 tablespoon butter into the skillet with onions and almonds. Once melted add in the gnocchi. Allow the gnocchi to fry for 5 minutes, stirring and flipping occasionally.
Add in tomato paste and water with the vegetable base. Stir until well combined.
Add in chopped red pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, and asparagus. Allow all ingredients to cook together for 2 minutes.
Remove cast iron skillet from heat and stir in citrus pesto.
Top with parmesan cheese and sliced almonds and serve.
This recipe takes some multi-tasking here is the order I prep and make Veggie Loaded Parmesan Gnocchi with Citrus Garlic Pesto with no stopping to prep:
If you do not have mini bell pepper 1/2 of a red bell pepper works.
- Cut up all veggies, juice a lemon, and zest the orange
- Get the water boiling for the gnocchi
- Chop the onions and add them to skillet with the butter (do not turn the stove on yet)
- Make gnocchi dough and roll out and cut half the gnocchi
- Turn on stove to get onions going
- Finish rolling out and cutting gnocchi
- Add almonds to the onions and butter
- Add gnocchi to the boiling salt water
- Once gnocchi rises to the top I add remaining butter to the skillet and using a slotted spoon place the gnocchi immediately into the skillet and allow to fry up
- Make Garlic Citrus Pesto
- Add Tomato paste along with water and veggie base mixture to the gnocchi.
- Add veggies allow them to cook for 3-5 minutes
- Remove from heat and add pesto
- Top with parmesan and sliced almonds and serve